Surtech belt linishing and friction deburring machines eliminate Procut slag removal issues
Surtech Surface Technology Productscontact supplier
Belt linishing machine/friction deburring machine
Procut has selected a belt linishing machine and Lima 600L friction deburring machine from Surface Technology Products (Surtech) to eliminate a bottleneck in its production processes that was adversely affecting delivery times.
Procut is a manufacturer of steel profiles for the manufacturing and general subcontract industries.
A new order — for 2,000 cut steel blanks per month — was proving unmanageable for the company. Its four oxy-propane CNC profiling machines could meet the demand; however, the hard slag remaining on the blanks as a result of the cutting process was causing problems.
The company’s staff removed the slag by hand, using hammer and chisel and 7in (17.8cm) handheld grinders; a bottleneck formed within this process as the amount of work increased.
Procut turned to Surtech and acquired a belt linishing machine in August 2011 for the cleaning of the parts and the removal of any scale and a Lima 600L friction deburring machine in February 2012 for removing the hard slag from the cut blanks.
Key benefits of product application
- Chris Brown, general manager at Procut, said the Surtech machines have enabled his company to save on lead times, labour requirements and costs.
- He added that the machines have also improved the working environment: the friction deburrer is a fully enclosed unit with built-in extraction, eliminating potential respiratory issues; while the belt linishing machine also features an attached extraction unit for improved operator safety.
- The friction deburring machine runs very quietly with doors closed and has enabled Procut to process its component at a rate similar to the actual cutting cycle.
- Brown said he expects the Surtech machines to pay for themselves in 18 months.
- He added that the friction deburrer creates a quality surface finish that requires little or no further dressing.
Most mechanical finishing operations require several stages to achieve the final result. According to Surtech, where large amounts of flat parts, such as sheet, strip, extrusions, hollow sections and so on, have to be finished, only a multi-head machine can cope.
A belt linishing machine and a Lima 600L friction deburring machine have enabled Procut to process its components at a rate similar to the actual cutting cycle.
This sanding head from Surtech can be used on any type of tooling machine, in particular on turning, rotary planer and other special machines.
It is well known in the powder coating and lacquer industry that razor-sharp edges reduce paint adhesion and increase hasten corrosion, whereas cleaned and rounded corners considerably improve corrosion resistance. The same problems apply to sheet cut with oxygen, which leaves an oxide layer with very poor paint adhesion. This article from Surtech goes on to explain why edge preparation reduces corrosion.
According to SURTECH, one person using the Model LS90 slag grinder can deslag as many flame-cut blanks as up to six people with angle grinders.