Surtech belt linishing and friction deburring machines eliminate Procut slag removal issues
Surtech Surface Technology Productscontact supplier
Belt linishing machine/friction deburring machine
Procut has selected a belt linishing machine and Lima 600L friction deburring machine from Surface Technology Products (Surtech) to eliminate a bottleneck in its production processes that was adversely affecting delivery times.
Procut is a manufacturer of steel profiles for the manufacturing and general subcontract industries.
A new order — for 2,000 cut steel blanks per month — was proving unmanageable for the company. Its four oxy-propane CNC profiling machines could meet the demand; however, the hard slag remaining on the blanks as a result of the cutting process was causing problems.
The company’s staff removed the slag by hand, using hammer and chisel and 7in (17.8cm) handheld grinders; a bottleneck formed within this process as the amount of work increased.
Procut turned to Surtech and acquired a belt linishing machine in August 2011 for the cleaning of the parts and the removal of any scale and a Lima 600L friction deburring machine in February 2012 for removing the hard slag from the cut blanks.
Key benefits of product application
- Chris Brown, general manager at Procut, said the Surtech machines have enabled his company to save on lead times, labour requirements and costs.
- He added that the machines have also improved the working environment: the friction deburrer is a fully enclosed unit with built-in extraction, eliminating potential respiratory issues; while the belt linishing machine also features an attached extraction unit for improved operator safety.
- The friction deburring machine runs very quietly with doors closed and has enabled Procut to process its component at a rate similar to the actual cutting cycle.
- Brown said he expects the Surtech machines to pay for themselves in 18 months.
- He added that the friction deburrer creates a quality surface finish that requires little or no further dressing.
The NTS 450 wet-cutting unit from Reichmann & Sohn, represented in the UK by Surtech, is being used to cut chrome-plated and ground piston rods producing edges free from burr and without mechanical damage for an English excavator manufacturer.
The Model FAB buffing machine from Surtech has been designed for satin finishing and mirror polishing of flat, curved and tubular parts.
The LEH abrasive-belt head can be mounted on the tool post of almost any lathe to convert it to a versatile and inexpensive tool-post roll grinder.
Surtech is offering REMA’s 40kW automatic billet grinder, which has been designed to surface-grind super-alloy bar material, as used in manufacturing high-technology investment castings such as turbine blades, surgical implants and turbochargers. The billet grinder automatically loads, grinds and unloads diameters from 75mm to 205mm and lengths from 250mm to 1,550mm.
The SM-6Z-6201K Surtx belt sander kit from Surtech features six interchangeable arms and uses both a normal abrasive belt and a surface prep belt.